Thursday, February 16, 2012

Esmeralda Montes - Artist currently residing in LA




Tell us about your up bring.

I grew up in Los Angeles and I am one of six children. Our house was always busy with people and animals. I had an unusual collection of pets, which included dogs, cats, a parrot, raccoon, and Billy the monkey. Having all these things brought about strange happenings, such as various search and rescues of escaping animals. In addition, coming from a large family we had limited space. Sharing rooms with my four sisters was the norm. We somehow fit a bunk bed, a full sized bed, and a bulky dresser in a small room.

As the content of your work has evolved from painting abstractly to the memory of your parents house when you where younger, to telenovelas, at this point post graduate school, what are you painting about now?

In graduate school I became quite interested in storytelling, the settings, characters, narratives, cheesy gossip, love, betrayal, lies all the juice! Now I am doing the opposite, creating characters that are emotionless and desensitized from their own being. I often have become obsessed with giving them lots of hair, long nails, and having both male and female features while occupying a hoax like landscape.

Now that it's been over a year from graduating from Tyler School of Art what has carried over into the present as being important to you and your work?

Well I think I learned to accept accidents. I feel as though before I would get caught up on ideas then paint, but the painting became or was about a completely different thing. In some ways I’ve learned to let change happen and not force so many ideas in one sitting.

Who are you looking at right now?

David Lynch
Boticelli
Charles Garabedian
Agnes Varda
Edvard Munch
Remedios Varo

Who and/or what is inspiring you currently?

Dirty napkins
Netflix
Shapes
The Ocean
Warm bright LA light